Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Service at Arlington National Cemetery

Here are some pictures from the funeral of my Great-grand parents, Arthur and Aline Murphy, at Arlington National Cemetery. Sorry there are so many, there were just so many beautiful moments that I wanted to share.




Cemetery with Washington Monument in the Background


My Grandfather and his kids


Some of the great-grand kids. Doesn't my brother look handsome in his uniform!








21 gun salute


Taps


I was amazed at the ceremony that goes into unfolding and folding the flag


Presenting the flag to my great-aunt Peggy


Presenting the shells from the 21 gun salute


My mom, the oldest grandchild, laying flowers after the service


Temporary grave marker, the gravestone will be installed in about 3 months


A Bald Eagle flew by the hotel where we were having lunch. So cool!


The whole family

More pics coming soon...hopefully tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. WOW.
    1. that 2nd picture is amazing.
    2. I love all the moments that went into it... the 21 gun salute, the flag, giving of the shells, very nice.
    3. That is a big 'ol group of family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I know! That's probably not even everyone. I think I only knew about half the people that were there. I love that it really felt like you were witnessing something special, a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing. My uncle had a friend there to take pictures and there was also someone taking video. I think it's awesome that we'll always be able to share the experience!

    ReplyDelete